The CONTEST project was aimed to improve new approaches and tools to manage interpersonal, social and cultural conflicts in order to enhance social cohesion in Europe and to strenghten European identity. Beyond the strictly economic effects, another - no less dangerous - aspect of the crisis is a real risk of social conflict. The progressive consolidation of a new presence in the cities, the profound changes that are affecting the culture and lifestyles, the economic crisis accelerate the change in the social tissue and in the type of relations between people. There is the presence of hardship, difficulty in cohabitation, conflict manifests and / or potential related to the existence of prejudice and discriminatory attitudes against persons and / or groups. This is a phenomenon to look with constant attention and about which the partnership considered necessary to develop interpretation tools and languages as common as possible and shared at European level: this in order to give positive and concrete answers in terms of management and exploitation of conflicts as resources for change.
The CONTEST project contributed to the development of actions and strategies aimed to:
• widening access of adults to basic skills such as social and civic competences;
• enhancing social cohesion in Europe and contributing to the development of a European identity;
• promoting and developing the concept of shared social responsibility;
• promoting and improving new approaches and tools to manage and exploit interpersonal, social and cultural conflicts;
• facilitating the resolution of social, cultural and interpersonal conflicts through the acquisition of specific skills;
• promoting and developing paths of volunteering among adult citizens, with reference with conflict exploitation.